Asahi Europe & International is part of Asahi Group Holdings, a global beer, spirits, soft drinks and food group with leading positions in European and Asia-Pacific markets, listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, Japan. As of November 2020, Asahi Europe & International Group runs 19 production facilities in 8 countries across Europe, and is the custodian of some of the best beer brands in the world, including Asahi Super Dry, Pilsner Urquell, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Grolsch and Kozel. Within the Asahi Group, the remit of Asahi Europe and International is also to develop and manage all export markets globally, outside of Japan and Oceania. Covering 90 markets and with over 10,000 passionate colleagues on board, the business is well positioned to inspire people around the world to drink better.
THIS ROLE CAN BE LOCATED IN ANY OF OUR OPERATING MARKETS: UK, NL, IT, PL, CZ, SK, RO, HU
Lead the indirect tax agenda within AEI, including strategy, polices, procedures, tax audits, tax technology.
The role will then entail:
• Taking part in AEI indirect tax matters and Group initiatives and projects within the region impacting indirect taxation.
• Working in close collaboration with all the HUB and Local Business-unit Finance and Tax staff and providing general indirect tax consulting and advice to all business units, central functions and executive staff within the region.
Consequently, the role holder will enable the AEI to achieve and maintain a competitive, effective tax rate and provide key tax-structuring direction for all strategic projects and regional tax-related policy, strategy and processes. Equally important, apart from valuation creation, is the protection of value through a robust tax filing and audit defence process which this role must manage.
The position will have one direct report (Indirect Tax Manager) and 8 indirect reports (in-country tax Managers accountable for tax matters in more than 10 jurisdictions). Head of Indirect Tax is expected to build strong relationships with all tax staff across the region and to interact with them in a dotted-line capacity. This relationship must include functional leadership, guidance and resource support.
1. Indirect Tax Governance and Administration
• Drive indirect tax agenda across AEI region.
• To act as the key indirect tax interface for the Regional CFO and the Corporate Centre on all regional indirect tax matters.
• To oversee the indirect tax activities throughout AEI (e.g. tax audit management, tax advisor management, filing compliance).
• To lead and continuously improve the company’s governance, compliance and risk framework.
• To Establish and monitor the company’s risk appetite and compliance therewith.
• To pro-actively manage key indirect tax value, risks and issues across the AEI region and to dedicate sufficient time and energy to resolve any issues in the most cost effective way for the Group.
• To interface with the tax advisor base that serves the region and business-units and ensure the most efficient level of service is provided.
• To carry out regular operational indirect tax reviews across the business units within the region and implement plans to progress items arising from such reviews; achieve tax efficiencies across the business and assist major strategic projects through indirect tax advice and support.
Ensuring that best practice is identified & shared around the Group through creation of a tax knowledge centre, development of internal tools such as collaboration rooms & updates
2. Indirect Tax Strategies, Structures, Policies and Positions
• To formulate and direct the indirect tax policy and strategy across AEI (including cross-border transactions within AEI region, products classification (especially for excise purposes), ensuring they are aligned with the Group’s overall tax approach and align to implementation of any group tax model and framework across AEI.
• To be fully aware of and develop strategies to deal with new and changed tax legislation affecting the region, with emphasis on EU regulations.
• Influencing the tax & regulatory environment in a responsible way that results in positive long term outcomes for the AEI business, for governments and society.
• Identifying repeating topics and trends in tax affairs through research & internal consultation that provide Tax insight for Senior internal stakeholders;
• To develop and execute strategies to minimise all indirect tax liabilities and exposures (including cash) across the region’s business-units.
• To ensure the regional and business-unit indirect tax arrangements follow Group Tax policies and guidelines.
• Attend events run by professional advisory firms and meetings of private sector indirect tax specialists to monitor emerging thinking, trends & hot topic
3. Indirect Tax Compliance
• To promote and implement the standardisation, automation and improvement of indirect tax processes and systems across the Europe region.
• To support indirect tax audit activity working with the specialist resource at Group and Regional Lead are brought in and utilised at an appropriate point in accordance with Group policy and procedures.
4. Intercompany transactions, Group Projects
• To work with the Corporate Centre tax team in implementing appropriate structures, agreements and tax matters relevant for the region.
• To ensure that intercompany transactions are appropriately presented to tax authorities.
• To cover indirect tax aspects in international tax projects involving the region. To develop appropriate indirect tax structures and carry out appropriate tax due diligence on all M&A projects in the region.
• Lead indirect tax aspects of the Group’s investments across the markets and support Corporate Finance on acquisition structuring as necessary.
• To provide, on an ad-hoc basis, tax support for any corporate restructuring, M&A, divestment, JVs or strategic alliance.
5. Indirect Tax Reporting
• To Establish best practice for internal and external indirect tax reporting;
• To manage the provision of support for uncertain indirect tax positions in the Europe region including overseeing the preparation of position papers for financial statement purposes.
• To promote the sharing of knowledge amongst the Local Tax Managers and the dissemination of knowledge from Group to the European Managers.
• To help develop appropriate tax structures and, position and coach appropriate resources, to satisfy the tax needs of the various business-units in the region.
• To foster an environment of continuous learning and improvement amongst the Local Tax Managers.
• To manage the development of the Local Tax Managers ensuring goals are aligned with AEI and Group goals and targets and ensuring tax team capability is continually enhanced.
• Minimum of 10 years taxation experience, in a complex, international business context.
• Experience of leading a indirect (or tax) function for at least 5 years within a business that has a global footprint across diverse tax domains.
• Exposure to indirect tax, excise tax in particular.
• Exposure to different tax structures and environments with demonstrable success in achieving optimal tax efficiencies at an international and regional level.
• Strong knowledge of latest international (EU in particular) regulation.
• Exposure on product classification issues (CN/HS in particular)
• Management of a team of specialists.
• Experience of complex project and acquisition structuring.
• Exposure to different cultures in a variety of environments and locations.
• Ability to leverage tax efficiencies to maximize business profitability and minimize exposure.
• Reasonable level of experience of tax audits indirect taxes.
• High level of exposure to interpretation of financial statements.
• High level of involvement in tax risk management and tax controls.
• Business proficiency in spoken and written English essential.
The following list of benefits applies only for the Czech Republic – other markets may vary
- Company car
- We will acknowledge your passionate and dedicated work by annual bonus and regular salary review.
- You can look forward to 28 days off every year to recharge your batteries.
- Every year you will get a flexible benefits budget to spend based on your preferences.
- We‘d support you in planning your future so we will contribute to your pension plan, too.
- Beside the opportunity to work for some of the TOP brands within FMCG, you will also receive an annual budget to savour the delicious taste of our company products.